🌟💪🏻Meet our May Barre Star, Chris B.!💪🏻🌟
Chris B. started taking classes at Barre Forte shortly after we opened (nearly 2 years ago!), and she hasn’t looked back. In between work, travel, being a kick butt grandma, and other life events, Chris has taken over 300 classes with Barre Forte Gainesville.
1) Where are you from, and how long have you been in Gainesville?
I was born in Philadelphia, PA, but moved to Miami when I was 16. I came to Gainesville in 1968 to go to UF—so, 49 years. Crazy!
2) What's your favorite Barre-themed shirt?
Of course I treasure my purple Barre Forte ‘250 Class Club’ shirt. I also love my “will tuck for tacos shirt,” because it’s true!
3) Tell us something fun about yourself/what you do when you're not at Barre?
I’m a sales manager with a global engineering company (CH2M), so I write and design proposals and presentations for clients as far away as Qatar and often travel to places like London, Guam, and Krakow. I love my work!
4) Was your first Barre class what you expected? Why or why not?
It was what I expected. I had already been doing Physique 57, a modified barre workout with a small ball. Barre Forte incorporates the principles of Physique 57, but with more challenging positions, as well as ballet, Pilates, and Yoga. It’s the “total” workout for me.
5) Why did you decide to continue with Barre Forte after your free week by investing in an unlimited membership?
I really liked the workout and all the staff and members were so outgoing and friendly. Also, I like the small, intimate atmosphere. I was bored with the large “gym” mentality of the fitness center I had been a member of for 30+ years.
6) What makes this workout different from other exercises you have experienced?
I don’t know of another workout that incorporates ballet, Pilates, Yoga and other forms of isometric exercise in a format that is not frenetic, but that allows you to focus inwardly, building strength from the inside out. It truly is a “mind and body” workout.
7) What is your favorite Barre move so far? Why?
Anything “on my toes.” Everything seems easier and more natural when I’m on my toes.
8) What results have you noticed after doing Barre consistently?
I’ve lost 5 pounds, but more importantly, my waist and hips are smaller and my legs are more shapely and toned. I wore shorts the other day and actually felt good in them.
9) Have you experienced any benefits from Barre that have affected you not just physically, but mentally, too?
Definitely. I feel stronger, more centered, and confident.
10) What keeps you motivated to continue coming to Barre so consistently?
I love the workout, I love the people, and I love the results!
11) Is there anything you would like to share with potential new clients about your experience at Barre Forte?
There is nothing to be nervous about. The instructors teach modified versions of each movement and you are encouraged to be “your best self,” not that of your neighbor. I struggled at first, but it didn’t take me long to catch on. No one judges and we all encourage each other.